BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Weddings





My sister got married this weekend. She is 11 1/2 months older than me and the last one in my family to tie the knot. It was a very beautiful ceremony and being a Catholic wedding, it went by rather quickly. It was about 98 degrees on Saturday and we had to trudge around in heavy, floor-length dresses and layers of tux. I think the worst part was being on the party bus which had no air conditioning, at 3:00 in the afternoon, crammed in like sardines. It made us feel as though we were melting.

The reception was where things got a little crazy. First off, I have to mention how well the Best Man and I did on our robot impression during our introduction. Eat your heart out, C3PO. However, I slacked a little on my speech..I didn't prepare. I did learn though, that if you keep it short & end with, "Go Cubbies", people won't really remember what you said anyway. Follow it up with a glass of champaign & a Jaeger Bomb and you're not even humiliated anymore. Funny how that works.

Then came the obnoxious drunk people. Yes, you know there's at least one or two at every wedding reception. They are the ones hugging strangers and telling everyone they love them and dancing by themselves on the dancefloor. Unfortunately, I was related to both of them. Worse than that, one was my mother. I steered clear of her all night, afraid she would get ahold of me and make me dance with her..or grab my face and start crying like she did with my nephew and my sister. Yep, I stayed fairly sober and far away from my mom. Words from the wise, never give that woman wine, or anything containing alcohol (at least in public).

My nephew on the other hand, was quite humorous to watch. He is just shy of 21 and was stumbling all over the place. At some point he discovered how loud he could actually sing and gave the fat-lady a run for her money. Then he thought the parking lot contained a urinal & ended up falling down outside the reception hall. Luckily, no concussion.

You gotta love a good wedding. There are plenty of people, all dressed up...plenty of alcohol to keep those people 'good-looking'....and plenty of drunk, 'good-looking' people who keep us entertained.

Congratulations to my sister & her new husband..and thank you for a heavy hangover to keep my mom sober for awhile.

1 comments:

holly said...

i would've been right there w/your mom. good thing i didn't crash the wedding.